Sunday 8 July 2012

David Hayman tells of ‘great honour’ at being awarded doctorate


Actor David Hayman has told Scotland Tonight of his “great honour” at being awarded a doctorate from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.

Mr Hayman told John MacKay: “It was very moving and I’m very humbled and honoured.”

The thespian has appeared in the films The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Where the Truth Lies, and The Last Great Wilderness. He also appeared in the popular television drama series Trial and Retribution.

He has directed a number of screen productions, including Silent Scream, The Hawk, and television’s Harbour Lights.

Mr Hayman was awarded the honorary doctorate in recognition of his services to the arts.

Mr Hayman – who studied at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, as the Conservatoire was once known – said he turned to acting as a 16-year-old when he became disenchanted with his steelwork apprenticeship.

He said: “I was kicked out of school when I was 16 and I had no qualifications to my name. I started as an apprentice in the steelyard my father worked in. I'd been there for about 18 months and on my way home one night I walked up the steps of the Academy in my boiler suit, stinking of engineering oil and grease and iron filings, and burst through the door and announced I wanted to be an actor."

The actor also discussed his political views, including his support for Scottish independence and his belief in a republican political system.

Source (including video interview): STV






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails